My Alt-Facebook is only a few days old, and I have only told two people about it. I want to get a week or so of use, just to be sure it does all the things I want it to. So far it works for me, and I will probably keep this going. The ‘interaction’ part will probably decide how much time I spend on Facebook. Some comments (in case anyone else is thinking of going this route):
- I seem to be doing most posting from my desktop. Definitely not a mobile-friendly, but I might just need to try a bit more. I remember finding Facebook a bit confusing at first.
- I thought I could load photos directly from Google, but can’t seem to remember how that worked. (Update: found it. There is a menu next to the (+) insert photo button).
- I know a few folks not on Facebook. This gives them a way to stay in touch without having to sign up for Facebook.
- I like the idea of controlling and owning my content more and more. I wish I had done this sooner.
- I still go out to Facebook daily to see what other folks are up to. I am liking the political arguing less and less. Some things about you I don’t want to know (even from some of my old friends). I suspect they feel the same way about me.
I keep thinking of what another old friend said when I asked why he wasn’t on Facebook. He said (I paraphrase) that he didn’t think he had much to contribute to the conversation. I disagree, since he is probably more thoughtful people I know, but it does make you wonder about you own ‘contribution’.
Anyway, here is a photo of the cats taking an afternoon nap in my bed.